About the Chihowa Retreat Center…
Chihowa Retreat Center is located 14 miles northwest of Lawrence, Kansas. It is used frequently each year for youth and family camping, retreats, seminars, conferences, workshops, camps for underprivilaged and handicapped, congregational activites, etc. It is available to religious groups, scouting groups, service groups, etc. Campground Features:
- 35 acres, including a 4.5 acre lake and 15 wooded acres.
- Main Lodge with meeting room (capacity 250), dining room, kitchen, dormitory and single room style sleeping (capacity 75 – 100), rest rooms and showers, office, nurse’s quarters (groups furnish own supplies), cook’s quarters, classrooms, small chapel, and nursery. Other features: fireplace, year-round facility, fully heated and air-conditioned. Ideal for groups of 50 – 150. Entirely self-contained.
- Lodge on the Lake – “living room” area in center of building with fireplace and kitchen, 2 dorm wings (each wing sleeps 22), each with rest room and shower facilities, large basement recreation area with fireplace and dormitory space for 16 additional people. This building is heated and air-conditioned and is ideal for small groups (20-50). It also serves as auxiliary dorm space for the main lodge.
- Two “motel type” cabin units– Heat, air-conditioning and bathroom. (These are Cabin units #1 and #2).
- Two “dorm type” cabin units– with bunk beds. Each has a sleeping capacity of 8. Not heated or air-conditioned. (These are Cabin units #3 and #4).
- RV and tent primitive camping area.
- Sports– Baseball diamond, 2 hard-surface volleyball / basketball courts, 1 sand volleyball court (equipment available), archery range (certified instructor needed in order to use these facilities).
- Swimming pool (available from Memorial Day to Labor Day).
- Lake for fishing and boating. (Canoes & paddleboats available.)
- Canteen building.
- Picnic areas.
- Resident manager’s home on premises.
- Fully handicap-accessible buildings, pool, and lake.